Monday, October 23, 2017

Canon Selphy VS Epson PictureMate

Happy Birthday to me!  Dale gifted me a new photo printer, an Epson PM400.  I finally found time to set it up one day last week.  I even had a helper.


I really do like this little printer!  I loved my Selphy, too.  I loved it so much I wore it out.  I wasn't sad to see it go.  The print quality was good and it printed fast.  However, Canon Selphy CP900 was not compatible with Windows 10 and did not print true 4 x 6 photos.  I could print wirelessly from my celllphone though and that made me happy!  The lack of true 4 x 6 photos had begun to bug me a little, but I trimmed the photos down to mat them on 4 x 6 white cardstock, creating photos that looked like they printed with a border!  Canon Selphy was a giant step forward for me in printing photos at home - it was quick, easy to use and no issues with wet ink.  It was a very nice printer for the price.  That printer was a birthday present form Dale, way back in October 2013.  He paid $77 for the printer.  So, I had four years of use.  It was a good four years.  

I began to have issues with the Selphy, so I asked for a new printer for my birthday.  This one would be an investment, as it is over twice the price of the Selphy, coming in at $200.  But it comes highly recommended, prints true 4 x 6, prints fast, no dry time, wireless...a little bigger footprint, but still compact.  Selphy required more footprint to print that it did to sit - so it's about equal in footprint overall.  The current home for the PM400 is a nook that's really not useful for anything else - a good place for a top feed printer.

So, how does it compare?


The photos on the left were printed with the Selphy.  The photos on the right were printed with the PictureMate.  PictureMate prints a truer, richer color photo - note the rich skin tone, the true color of the stainless fridge.  Note the vivid orange of the pumpkin and the clear, not muddy, gray / brown of the background.

A side by side comparison shows the differences, but Canon Selphy was a step forward for its time.  The PM has a higher price tag than the Selphy.  I enjoyed my Selphy.  Ready to enjoy more of my PM.  

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a moo'valous day!



No comments:

Post a Comment